Thursday 23 October 2008

SAINTS COACH WAS ONCE A BRITISH STAR

My piece on Sean Payton's brief career with the Leicester Panthers was posted today at NFL.com: as usual you can find it here

Two corrections: apparently my stalwart memory failed me, and in 1999 the WLAF had already been rebranded as NFL Europe (tks Mike Preston) and Martin Johnson actually played for the Panthers' senior team in 1988, not their youth team (tks to Martin, whom I interviewed at the Chargers' practice today, for Five).

6 comments:

Mark said...

So are you covering the game for anyone in particular this year, going along as a fan, or not going on Sunday?

Michael Carlson said...

I'll be doing it for the BBC at 4:30 on B2, with Jerry Rice no less...be there!

Mark said...

I'll be there. That's there as in the stadium and not there as in watching you. Although I'll be there later too as I'll be V+ing both the Beeb and Sky. At the moment they're predicting (I think they use sheep's entrails) no rain which will be nice. With reduced running options I'm looking for at least 9000 yards of passing offense. Each half. Per team.

Ayo Onatade said...

I am pretty peeved that I did not get my act together and get a ticket!!

I'll have to be content and watch it on TV. Even though I am a Philly fan I have got to admit that I am pleased to hear that Jerry Rice will be there. He has always been one of my favourite players!

Michael Carlson said...

Mark you almost got your wish re total offense....

Mark said...

Yep, it was a cracking game and an immensely different spectacle to that of last year. You can't argue with 69 points and a Hail Mary in the last second that could have changed everything.